Depending on the design, microscopes are made to suit a vast variety of studies and interests. For this reason, we have compiled this diverse list of products to suit a variety of interests and hobbies. Take a look at our reviews below for some of the most affordable microscopes currently on the market
Best Affordable Microscopes Reviews
Here are our reviews of the best affordable microscopes
1. AmScope M150C-I 40X-1000X
This is a great microscope for any beginner. Built for simplicity and capable of 1000x magnification, this microscope is perfect for anyone, regardless of age.
- 5 magnification settings
- Sturdy all-metal framework
- Can be plugged in or used with batteries
2. AmScope M162C-2L-PB10 40X-1000X Dual Light Student Microscope
Don’t le its low price fool you, clocking in at under $80, this microscope comes with everything you need to get started right away.
- Includes blank and prepared slides with descriptions
- Works with batteries and traditional outlets
- Capable of 1000x magnification
3. 40X-1000X LED Coarse & Fine Focus Science Student Microscope
This microscope is a great choice for both younger and older children. Complete with a detachable 5-megapixel digital camera for on-screen viewing, this is a great device for recording your work for later analysis.
- Strong frame and construction
- 1000x magnification levels
- Can be operated in and out of the home thanks to its compatibility with batteries.
4. OMAX 20X-40X-80 Dual LED 3D Stereo Microscope with Multi-Power
This microscope features an easy-to-use USB digital camera that is great for recording, photographing and documenting you finings for later research.
- Compatible with batteries means you can use this device just about anywhere.
- LED cordless illuminators
- 5-year warranty protects against manufacturing defects
5. Firefly GT800 Handheld USB Digital Microscope with Measurement Functions
Portable and extremely affordable, this handheld microscope is capable of magnifying objects up to 230x.
- High quality optics
- Adjustable, ultra-bright LED bulbs
- Durable construction
Affordable Microscopes Buyer’s Guide
Depending on the speciality, design and other factors, microscopes can range considerably in price. Thankfully, there are high-quality, affordable options available for all uses and niches. Whether you’re into dissection or electronic repair or you’re a first year STEM student, looking to purchase your first device, rest assured, there are affordable options out there.
Take a look at our buyer’s guide for some tips and features to keep an eye out for when making your purchase.
This factor completely depends on what you plan on viewing and refers to the magnification capabilities of the microscope. If you want to view microscopic objects that cannot be seen by the human eye, then you’ll need a high-powered device that is capable of at least 1000x magnification. However, if you simply want a closer look at objects that are already visible, then a low-powered device will do the trick.
The purpose of a microscope is to magnify specimens to see detail unseen to the naked eye. Although many microscopes are capable of extremely high levels of magnification, it is not needed for young, inexperienced children. A device capable of 400x to 1000x is perfect for beginners.
Specimens and slides require a light source to make viewing possible. Common light sources to look out for include halogen, LED and fluorescent lights. LED lights come highly recommended for their brightness and long life. Keep an eye out for a microscope that includes replacement bulbs, as they can be obscure and hard to get a hold of in a pinch.
Monocular or binocular design
This is completely up to you and your preference. Simply choose a device that is comfortable and easy on your eyes.
Keep in mind: children tend to have close-set eyes; in this case, a binocular feature may be more suitable.