A spotting scope is a nature enthusiast’s best friend. If you are interested in birdwatching, spending time in the wild and taking off on hikes and camping trips on the weekend, a good spotting scope can certainly make the experience a lot more enriching. But even apart from observing nature, a spotting scope can be useful for sports like target shooting, archery, hunting, etc.
Finding a good spotting scope, however, especially on a budget, can be a tricky task. There may be several shortcomings where costs have been cut. But there are a few basic things you can look out for to find a good budget spotting scope. The following are six of the best budget spotting scopes. They are all under the $100 mark and will provide you with some great views in the distance.
Best Budget Spotting Scopes
Here are our budget spotting scope reviews.
The Emarthe Waterproof Angled Spotting Scope is the best budget spotting scope overall. It offers incredibly high magnification and has an ergonomic design that allows you a comfortable grip and view. This is the ideal spotting scope for target shooting, bird watching, hunting, hiking, astronomy and more.
- The scope comes with fully multi-coated lenses and has a BAK4 roof prism which lets in more light and provides a clearer picture. This is extremely helpful when you are trying to spot something in low-light conditions.
- The scope has a durable construction and has a non-slip grip provided by a rubber armor.
- The spotting scope is waterproof and fog proof, thanks to the O-rings that seal the lenses — this keeps out dust, moisture, dirt, etc.
The Roxant Authentic Blackbird High-Definition Spotting Scope is a compact and easy-to-handle instrument that comes with its own handled tripod and carrying case. It comes with an optical glass that has a BAK4 Prism. What is great about this spotting scope is also that it comes with a lifetime replacement guarantee.
- It has a weatherproof construction and it comes with a non-slip exterior that prevents it from falling from your hands by accident.
- It can be used with or without glasses, thanks to the extendable or retractable eyepiece. The main barrel also has an extendable sunshade which reduces the glare on an especially bright day.
- The eyepiece is angled at 45-degree so that you get a comfortable grip and do not need to sprain your neck trying to view something.
The Gosky HD Spotting Scope is an instrument that provides the best value to the customer. It has an extremely powerful magnification that can be adjusted with ease. It is the ideal spotting scope to use for archery, target shooting, bird watching, astronomy, camping, etc.
- You can lock your target and then zoom in to get a clearer image and detail. This is what makes it such a perfect candidate for target shooting and archery.
- It has a fully multi-coated objective lens (60 mm) with a green film that allows you to see as far as 50 to 110 feet.
- It has a durable construction and a waterproof design that protects the spotting scope from all external adversities.
The Celestron Landscout Spotting Scope is another great option for you to invest in. It comes with fully coated optics that let more light in, in turn offering a brighter and more detailed picture. The scope is also compact, lightweight and easy to carry on a hiking or camping trip.
- The spotting scope comes with a rotating tripod mount that makes the process of using the instrument even more convenient.
- It has a zoom eyepiece that allows you to adjust the magnification how you need to, providing you with a wide field of view as well as a close-up view as required.
- It comes with a spacious focus wheel that has a rubber grip which allows you to focus on any subject with ease. This is especially useful when the mercury has dropped and you have gloves on.
The Landove Upgrade Prism Spotting Scope is an instrument with a fully multi-coated green lens. This is a high-definition spotting scope with an objective lens that provides a bright, clear image. The scope has a durable and resilient construction and is great for rugged outdoor use.
- The scope has a high-variable magnification that provides continuous variable zoom as well as a dynamic lens which makes it easy for anyone to zoom on the target.
- The scope comes along with a digiscoping cell phone adapter which allows you to attach your phone and capture the sights you see on images and videos to share with the larger world.
- It comes with a built-in sunshade that can be retracted or extended at any time, allowing you to manage the glare on bright days.
The Kalawen HD Spotting Scope is a high-quality instrument with a 60 mm FMC objective lens with multi-coating. The lens has a BAK4 prism that allows more light in, therefore providing a brighter and clearer picture. It also comes with a large eyepiece that provides the viewer with a lot more flexibility.
- The scope is built with durable material and there is a rubber armor that provides shock-absorbing qualities. The scope is also waterproof and has an anti-fog design, among other things.
- It comes with an easy-to-use tripod and a portable bag that makes it convenient to bring it along to any camping or hiking trip.
- It has a big eyepiece that is great for enjoying the magnification (from 20x to 60x) and an incredible field of view of 57 to 120 feet.
Finding the Right Budget Spotting Scope for You
A spotting scope is a great way to spend the weekend camping, hunting or hiking. But if you are looking for a spotting scope on a budget, you may have to pay some more attention to detail and the bargain you are getting. The following are some of the things you may want to consider before buying a spotting scope:
Different Types Spotting Scopes
There are a few different types of spotting scopes. The most common two varieties you may have to pick between are angled spotting scopes and straight spotting scopes. In a straight scope, the eyepiece will be parallel while in an angled scope, the eyepiece is set at an angle of 45 degrees or 90 degrees. A straight scope might be the better option if you are investing in one for birdwatching.
If you want to set the scope at different heights, an angled scope is much better.
There are several different uses for a spotting scope. It can be used for birdwatching, hunting, archery, target shooting and a lot more. Depending on what you are looking to use the scope for, you should pick a type. If you are going to use the scope largely in the outdoors, it is important to invest in a set of scopes that are waterproof and fog proof. If you are looking to use the scope for archery or target shooting, you may also want to invest in a scope that allows you to lock into a target.
Any scope needs to be built with durable materials. It should have a rubber armor that protects it in the event of a fall. The lens should ideally be objective and multi-coated. Most good scopes also have O-rings that seal the lenses, preventing them from being damaged by dust and debris. No matter what material the manufacturers use to build a scope, it should be durable for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Best Spotting Scope for Birding
- Best Spotting Scope for Hunting
- Best Spotting Scopes
- Best Compact Spotting Scopes
- Best Spotting Scope for Digiscoping
- Best Spotting Scope for Target Shooting
- Best Spotting Scopes Under $200
- Best Spotting Scopes Under $100
- Best Spotting Scopes Under $500
- Best Spotting Scopes for 1,000 yards
- Best Compact Spotting Scope for Hunting
- Best Spotting Scope for 100 yards
- Best Spotting Scope for Astronomy
- Best Spotting Scope Window Mount