If you’re serious about cultivating and growing marijuana, crossbreeding strains or potentially even opening up a business, then you’ll need a good microscope. These devices are a great way to assess the quality of your bud by spotting impurities and determining the potency of your harvest.
When it comes to marijuana analysis, there are a few microscopes that stand out from the rest. Take a look at our reviews of some of the best devices currently on the market.
Best Microscopes for Viewing Marijuana
Here are our reviews of the best microscopes for viewing marijuana
1. Carson MicroBrite Plus 60x-120x LED Lighted Pocket Microscope with Aspheric Lens System
This compact, pocket microscope is perfect for walking around your grow room and examining your plants without having to cut off a sample bud for latter analysis.
- Capable of 120x magnification
- Precision aspheric lenses for great optical quality
- Built-in bright LED light
2. Wireless Digital Microscope, ROTEK 50x and1000x Microscope
This handy device allows its user to wirelessly connect to their smartphone or home monitor for up-close, on-screen viewing and analysis.
- Capable of 1000x magnification levels
- Compact—can be detached from its stand and used in-hand
- Built-in 2.0-megapixel camer
3. LCD Digital Microscope, YINAMA 4.3 Inch 50X-1000X Magnification 1080P Compound Handheld Microscope
This microscope comes with its own built-in display screen allowing you to immediately digitally analyse, photograph and record your findings.
- Capable of magnification levels up to 1000x
- Fine and coarse focusing knobs
- Sturdy base keeps specimens in sharp focus
4. Plugable USB 2.0 Digital Microscope with Flexible Arm
Connect this digital microscope to your PC using the included USB cable for easy set-up and analysis. This device is a perfect choice for a digital microscope on a budget.
- Built-in 2.0-megapixel camera
- Compatible with nearly all operating systems
- LED halo light with brightness adjustment control
5. Carson MicroBrite 20x-40x LED Lighted Pocket Microscope
This is another handheld option for the observer on the go. Simply take it out of your pocket and manoeuvre it around your bud for on-the-spot analysis.
- 1-year limited warranty
- Runs on batteries (included)
- LED light ensures bright and clear view
Microscopes for Cannabis Buyer’s Guide
Because marijuana flowers are quite large (as far as microscopes are concerned) you don’t need to spend an arm and a leg buying a microscope that is capable of magnification levels in the thousands. A relatively simple device capable of at least 100x magnification is highly suitable for detailed flower analysis.
Take a look at our buyer’s guide for some tips and features to look out for when purchasing one of the microscopes.
Image and clarity
If you plan on purchasing a microscope that requires you to look through an eyepiece, it is important to research the optics and purchase a device that uses high-quality lenses, ensuring good image quality.
On the other hand, if you plan on purchasing a digital microscope, look for a device with a good camera that is renowned for its image quality. Keep an eye out for a device with at least 2.0-megapixels to ensure the image is not grainy when zoomed in.
Microscopes range vastly in magnification capabilities depending on their intended niche. In regards to marijuana, while 1000x is not needed, it is recommended that the device be capable of at least 100x magnification. This will ensure a high-quality, detailed image every time.
Size and portability
Hand held options are highly preferred by professionals, as they don’t require the user to cut of sample buds for analysis. This means you can simply walk through your grow room, analysing your plants as you go.
Conversely, stationary models, although requiring a dissected sample, are capable of much higher levels of magnification and are great for laboratory research.
Some cheap models do not come with a built-in light source. These devices should not be considered for use with marijuana, as a bright light source is required for any detailed analysis.