Dissecting microscopes, or stereo microscopes as thy are generally referred to, are designed for low magnification observation of samples by using light reflected from the surface of an object rather than light being transmitted through a specimen, such as you would find in a compact microscope. These devices are used to examine and study external features on objects that cannot be monted into flat slides.
Take a look at our reviews below for some of the best products currently on the market.
Best Microscopes for Dissecting
Here are our reviews of the best microscopes for dissecting
1. AmScope SM-4TZ-144A Professional Trinocular Stereo Zoom Microscope
This dissecting stereo microscope comes highly recommended from professional laboratory researchers. Its adjustable boom-arm design allows for complete viewing control, allowing you to view those hard-to-see areas.
- Boom-arm allows you to work with larger objects
- Adjustable Barrow lens
- Compatible with a range of digital cameras for photo and video documentation
2. AmScope SE400-Z Professional Binocular Stereo Microscope
Although this microscope has very limited magnification capabilities, it is still one of the most preferred models currently on the market, revered for its unique design and quality optics.
- Features a boom-arm for observing and manipulating extra large objects and specimens
- Interchangeable wide-field eyepieces
- Adjustable gooseneck LED light
3. AmScope SW-3T24-FRL-5MT Digital Trinocular Stereo Microscope
This microscope with its adjustable boom-arm is perfect for students, adults and professionals alike. Capable of handling projects both large and small, this is a highly recommended device for dissecting.
- USB output for displaying images on-screen
- 5-megapixel camera included ensures high-quality photo resolution
- Sturdy design
4. AmScope SE306R-PZ-P Digital Forward-Mounted Binocular Stereo Microscope
Don’t let the low price fool you; this device has proven itself more than capable in the dissection field. This is a perfect choice for students and beginners on a budget.
- Capable of magnification up to 80x
- Halogen light source above and below the viewing surface
- Digital camera and software included for onscreen viewing
5. AmScope SE305R-PZ Forward Binocular Stereo Microscope
This microscope’s large viewing platform is great for viewing, maneuvering and dissecting larger objects and specimens of all types.
- Wide field-view optical glass lenses for image clarity
- Durable metal framework
- Incident and transmitted lights reduce strain on eyes
Microscopes for Dissecting Buyer’s Guide
Stereo Microscopes are designed with a plethora of tasks in mind. From dissection to model making, the possibilities are endless. These devices allow their user to examine and dissect a specimen with precision and accuracy.
Take a look at our buyer’s guide for some tips and important features to keep an eye out for when making your purchase.
Consider a device that features metal or nylon gears. Plastic should never be considered unless the device is made for children. Nylon gears tend to be a popular choice as they fall between metal and plastic options and cost considerably less. However, if you are looking for the best quality and money is not an option, then metal gears are always recommended.
Unlike compound microscopes that are capable of magnifying specimens by thousands of times, dissection microscopes use much lower levels, typically up to 80x. Magnification levels really depend on what you’re working on. If dissecting, you’ll need the highest levels possible. Think about current and future projects and select a machine that will be capable of handling your projects.
Digital capabilities are highly sought out by professional researchers and serious hobbyists alike. They are a great way to record and organize your work for future analysis and scrutiny. However, this technology is often more expensive and is not necessarily needed for students or amateurs.
If you do choose to go for a digital model, consider the software and connectivity features to make sure it’s compatible with your existing technology.
If opting for a model that has digital capabilities, be sure to make sure that all included software is compatible with your existing technology. Some devices are only manufactured with specific smartphones or computer software in mind.