Who says learning has to boring? A quality microscope is a fun and exciting way to get your children interested in the Stem field. These devices, capable of high levels of magnification, will have your kids begging to learn outside of study hours. Discover and expose your children to the exciting, unseen world with one of these amazing learning tools.
Take a look at our reviews below of some of the best devices currently on the market.
Best Microscopes for Homeschooling
Here are our reviews of the best microscopes for homeschooling
1. OMAX 40X-2000X Lab LED Binocular Microscope
Our top choice was the recipient of the grand prize for the best compound microscope of 2018. This microscope is a perfect learning tool for both children and teenagers alike.
- Capable of magnification up to 2000x
- 5-year warranty
- Coarse and fine focusing knobs for precision results
2. 40X-1000X LED Coarse & Fine Focus Science Student Microscope
This microscope is a great choice for both younger and older children. Complete with a detachable 5-megapixel digital camera for on-screen viewing, this is a great device for teaching multiple children at once.
- Strong frame and construction can withstand any children related accidents
- 1000x magnification levels
- Can be operated in and out of the home thanks to its compatibility with batteries.
3. AmScope M162C-2L-PB10 40X-1000X Dual Light Student Microscope
Don’t le its low price fool you, clocking in at under $80, this microscope comes with everything you need to get started teaching right away.
- Includes blank and prepared slides with descriptions
- Works with batteries and traditional outlets
- Capable of 1000x magnification
4. AmScope 40X-2500X LED Digital Binocular Compound Microscope with 3D Stage and 5MP USB Camera
This microscope is capable of magnifying specimens up to 2500x. Your children won’t be able to tear themselves away for this device after experiencing its magnification abilities.
- Built-in LED illumination system
- Digital camera and easy-to-use software included
- Dust cover and USB cable provided
5. AmScope M150C-I 40X-1000X
This is a great microscope for a variety of studies. Built for simplicity and capable of 1000x magnification, this microscope is perfect for getting your children interested in both geology and microbiology.
- 5 magnification settings
- Sturdy all-metal framework
- Can be plugged in or used with batteries
Best Microscopes for Homeschooling Buyer’s Guide
Parents and children alike will love learning about the unseen world with one of these amazing educational tools. Examine, magnify and photograph your discoveries to impress Mom and Dad… and maybe get extra grades, too.
Take a look at our buyer’s guide below for some tips and features to keep an eye out for when making your purchase.
Types of microscopes
There are two main types of microscopes that are popular for homeschooling: stereo microscopes and compound microscopes. Which one you choose will determine what can be observed and taught.
These devices allow the user to rotate and even hold and manipulate the specimen during observation. They are a great choice for viewing objects such as rocks and knick-knacks you may find in the backyard.
These high-powered devices are capable of high levels of magnification, with some models reaching levels of 2500x. These microscopes are great for viewing and studying specimens that cannot be seen with the human eye, such as bacteria and cells.
Monocular or binocular design
For young children, a monocular device is highly recommended. Children tend to have close-set eyes compared to adults and a monocular ensures that one size fits all. For children above ten, a microscope with adjustable binoculars should be suitable.
The purpose of a microscope is to magnify specimens to see detail unseen to the naked eye. Although many microscopes are capable of extremely high levels of magnification, it is not needed for young, inexperienced children. A device capable of 400x to 1000x is perfect for beginners.