While attempting to view things that are invisible to the human eye —such as forms of bacteria and other microorganisms—may sound intriguing, it is physically impossible with the naked eye. If you want to take a closer look at this unseen universe then you’re going to need the help of a high-powered compound microscope.
These devices are capable of magnifying bacteria thousands of times over, giving you a big glimpse into the world of the microscopic.
Best Microscopes for Viewing Bacteria
Here are our reviews of the best microscopes for viewing bacteria
1. OMAX Built-in 3MP Camera 40X-2000X Digital Biological Compound Binocular
This microscope with its built-in megapixel camera, is capable of magnifying microorganisms up to 2000x, making it a great choice for those looking to view bacteria close-up, with detail.
- Capable of recording images and video
- 8 individual magnification levels
- Swivelling digital binocular head
2. AmScope T610-IPL 40X-1000X Plan Infinity Kohler Laboratory Research Grade Trinocular Compound Microscope
Complete with 4 extreme wide-field magnification settings, this research-grade trinocular compound microscope is about as good as it gets when it comes to viewing and studying bacteria.
- Precise mechanical adjustments and optics are ideal for advanced applications.
- Backward nosepiece design allows for easy rotation and operation
- Trinocular design allows for photo and video capabilities
3. OMAX 40X-2000X Lab LED Binocular Microscope
This high-powered microscope was the recipient of the grand prize for the best compound microscope of 2018. Although 2018 was two years ago, this microscope is completely up to date and is more than capable of observing and studying bacteria.
- Capable of magnification up to 2000x
- 5-year warranty
- Coarse and fine focusing knobs for desired results
4. AmScope 40X-2500X LED Digital Binocular Compound Microscope with 3D Stage and 5MP USB Camera
Equipped with a built-in 1.3 megapixel camera and capable of magnifying up to 2500x, simply connect this microscope to you computer to easily share and analyze your findings.
- Great for professionals and students alike
- Compatible with all leading brand computer software
- Powerful single bulb LED illumination
5. AmScope T490B-DK Compound Trinocular Microscope
This sturdy microscope is capable of magnifying bacteria up to 2000x making it a great choice for biological and educational purposes.
- Vertical camera mounting head
- Interchangeable eyepieces
- Brightfield and Darkfield halogen illumination
Microscopes for Viewing Bacteria Buyer’s Guide
These high-powered compound microscopes are not for children. These are laboratory-grade, complex machines that are made for serious hobbyists, professionals and students alike, meaning carful consideration should made when making your purchase.
Take a look at our buyer’s guide for some key components and features to look out for when making your selection.
There are two common forms of observing and studying bacteria: through monitors and/or eyepieces.
Eyepiece viewing is the standard and least expensive way to view living bacteria. However, it is only suitable for one person at a time and the focuser must constantly be adjusted depending on who is looking through the optics.
Amazing advances in technology have allowed users to connect their microscope to a monitor, displaying everything that one would normally see through the eyepiece, onto a large screen. This type of viewing is highly desirable as it allows for easy viewing and recording capabilities. Digital viewing also allows for multiple people to view the image at once, making discussion simple.
This is one of the most important features when it comes to viewing microscopic bacteria. In order to view bacteria properly, you need a device that is capable of at least 1000x magnification. Remember, when it comes to magnifying bacteria: the higher the magnification, the better.
As these high-powered microscopes do not come cheap, investing in a quality device is paramount. The last thing you want to do is spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on an expensive machine only to have it breakdown or get damaged from a simple mistake. Look for a microscope that was constructed with this in mind.