Digiscoping is essentially when you attach a spotting scope, monocular or optical telescope to your camera or smartphone to take high-quality photos and videos at magnifications that cannot be produced by the camera or smartphone alone. You can save plenty of money by investing in a spotting scope that has the capability for digiscoping instead of investing in expensive zoom lenses for your camera.
Today, with digiscoping technology, you can take excellent photographs and record videos of animals and birds that you encounter during your adventures. And, the benefit of using a spotting scope for your photos and videos is that this is a quick and easy method by which you can get fantastic images.
If you’re new to digiscoping, you may be quite overwhelmed when it comes to choosing the right equipment from the plethora of options available. However, we have researched and created a list of the best spotting scope for digiscoping that will enable you to find the one that’s right for you.
Best Spotting Scopes for Digiscoping
Here are our digiscoping spotting scope reviews.
1. Celestron Ultima 65mm Spotting Scope
If you love taking wildlife pictures, then the Ultima 65mm Spotting Scope with the Celestron smartphone adapter is an excellent all-in-one solution for digiscoping. The smartphone adapter allows you to take photos and videos right from your smartphone. The angled spotting scope has a sturdy and portable design that allows you to carry it anywhere at all.
- The spotting scope comes with an 18x-55x zoom eyepiece for magnification.
- The spotting scope for digiscoping has a 45-degree viewing angle that allows you to observe your subject for long periods of time.
- The scope has a durable housing that protects the optics from wet weather and also prevents the scope from damage due to any jolts and bumps.
2. Gosky 20-60 X 80 Porro Prism Spotting Scope
Now, with the Porro Prism Spotting Scope, which is specially designed for target shooting, birdwatching and outdoor activities, you can shoot pictures of distant images by making use of the digiscoping adapter that comes along with the spotting scope. The spotting scope has a waterproof design that makes the scope weatherproof and safeguards it from fog, rain, etc.
- The spotting scope features 80 mm multi-coated green film objective lens, high-quality prism and eyepiece that delivers brighter, crisper and clearer images.
- The Magnalium frame and rubber armor makes the spotting scope extremely durable and enables it to withstand any type of weather conditions. The rubber armor absorbs shock and offers maximum protection.
- The 20-60x magnification and the dynamic focusing system make it extremely easy to zoom in on your subject.
3. Huicocy 20-60x60mm Spotting Scope
The Huicocy angled spotting scope with a 45o eyepiece is one of the best digiscoping spotting scopes. It offers a range of magnifications of 20x – 60x and meets all your spotting needs. The spotting scope is perfect for hunters, naturalists, birdwatchers and travelers.
- The spotting scope has a 60mm objective lens that maximizes light gathering to offer better resolution.
- The main barrel features an extendable sunshade which helps to reduce glare.
- The spotting scope has a fog-proof design that allows you to view your subject clearly in foggy or rainy weather conditions.
4. Creative XP HD Spotting Scope
If you’re looking to improve your birdwatching skills or target shooting, then the HD Spotting Scope is among the best digiscoping spotting scopes. The extra-wide objective lens and the magnification power of the spotting scope offer exceptional image clarity. And, the best part is that the smartphone adapter that comes with the spotting scope lets you take photos of your subject easily.
- The spotting scope offers clear and bright viewing at 60x magnifications without chromatic aberrations.
- The scope features two fine focus dials that allow smooth and accurate focusing to get a vibrant and detailed image and the 17-12 mm eye relief is very comfortable.
- The spotting scope is nitrogen purged and it has sealed O-rings to prevent any damage from shock, water or fog.
5. Svbony SV28 Spotting Scope with Tripod
A high-quality spotting scope will allow you to see your subject that’s very far away, very clearly and the Svbony SV28 Spotting Scope has all the features that you need for bird watching, target shooting or viewing things at a distance. The spotting scope delivers clear, bright and high-contrast images even when the light conditions are poor.
- The zoom magnification of the spotting scope can be adjusted from 25x-75x that makes it perfect for all types of outdoor activities.
- The 70 mm fully multi-coated lens offers a 64-43 feet field of view and the large lens increases the light transmission.
- The spotting scope is waterproof and also prevents dust and debris from entering to offer reliable performance.
6. Celestron Regal M2 65ED Spotting Scope
The Regal M2 65ED Spotting Scope from Celestron is optimized to deliver sharp and clear images at any time of the day. The spotting scope is equipped with all the advanced features available in high-end scopes. The device also includes an adapter that allows digiscoping with your DSLR camera that allows you to capture sharp photos and videos via the spotting scope.
- The spotting scope features extra-low dispersion optical glass that reduces chromatic aberration dramatically and delivers sharp images with excellent color correction.
- The scope has lens that is XLT coated, which maximizes light transmission and produces brighter images.
- The 16-48x zoom eyepiece allows you to get perfect viewing angles.
Spotting Scope for Digiscoping Buyer’s Guide
Here’s all you need to know about digiscoping spotting scopes.
The magnification power of the scope is essentially how close a subject looks than it actually is and is usually fixed or variable. Spotting scopes with variable magnification are more versatile. Typically, spotting scopes must have a magnification range between 15x-20x.
Close Focus Distance
The best spotting scope for digiscoping should allow you to capture good and sharp pictures of things that are not very far away. In the case of smaller animals or birds, you could be a little closer and the close focus distance allows you to get a good view of the subject without getting a blurry image. If you get good clarity of the subject at 20 feet or less, this means that the close focus distance of the spotting scope is good.
Objective Lens Size
The objective lens is the most important part of the best spotting scope for digiscoping. The larger the objective lens, the more light enters the spotting scope and more light means brighter and more vibrantly colored pictures. You should opt for a lens of at least 60 mm. If the lens is smaller than this, you will lose a lot of light via the spotting scope.
Coated lenses are what make spotting scopes excellent for digiscoping or photography. The lens coating let the spotting scope to transfer more light into the mounted camera and also reduces the glare, allowing you to get brighter and more vivid images. For best photography results, you should look for spotting scopes with fully multi-coated lens.
Mounting your spotting scope onto a tripod is a very important feature to consider. It can be quite difficult to get blur-free pictures while using magnification for both experienced, as well as amateur photographers. And, the best spotting scope for digiscoping should have the facility to be mounted onto a tripod, which helps to stabilize the scope and deliver perfect images.
The best spotting scopes for digiscoping make use of a combination of coated lens, durable materials, magnification and tripod mounting to increase the capabilities of your smartphone, as well as a camera. We hope that with our reviews and buying guide of the best spotting scopes for digiscoping, you are able to find the best scope that will allow you to take stunning pictures that you will cherish.
- Best Spotting Scope for Birding
- Best Spotting Scope for Hunting
- Best Spotting Scopes
- Best Compact Spotting Scopes
- Best Spotting Scope for Target Shooting
- Best Budget Spotting Scopes
- Best Spotting Scope Phone Adapters
- Best Spotting Scope Tripods
- Best Spotting Scopes Under $100
- Best Spotting Scopes Under $200
- Best Spotting Scopes Under $500
- Best Spotting Scopes for 1,000 yards
- Best Compact Spotting Scope for Hunting
- Best Spotting Scope for Astronomy
- Best Spotting Scope Window Mount