Target shooting is a specialized skill that cannot be picked up by anyone with a spotting scope. It requires years of training and discipline, but it also requires the right kind of instrument and equipment. Not all spotting scopes are made equally and some are better for target shooting than others. A spotting scope for target shooting requires a few specific features that make it an appropriate scope for the activity.
The following are six of the best spotting scopes for target shooting followed by a brief buying guide on how to pick the right scope.
Best Spotting Scope for Target Shooting
Here are our target spotting scope reviews.
The Emarthe Waterproof Angled Spotting Scope is the best spotting scope overall for target shooting. It has an impressive range of zoom magnification and is angled at 45 degrees for comfortable viewing. Apart from target shooting, this spotting scope is also extremely useful for bird watching, traveling, hiking, hunting, etc.
- It has an incredible field of view of 39-19 m/1000 m, making it ideal for target shooting and bird watching.
- The lens is fully multi-coated and has a BAK4 roof prism which lets in more light, allowing for a brighter and more detailed image even in low-light conditions.
- It is built durable material and has a strong rubber armor that protects it even in case of a fall.
The Gosky Spotting Scope is the editor’s choice for a reason. This is another great pick for target shooting because it has powerful magnification. It also comes with a fully multi-coated objective lens that has an impressive field view of 1,000 yards.
- The spotting scope has an adjustable zoom magnification that is great for locking into your target and then zooming in to see it with even greater clarity.
- The lens comes with BAK4 Porro prism that allows more light to stream in, therefore providing a much clearer image even when there is low lighting.
- The scope comes with a wide range of accessories like a smartphone adapter, a tripod and also a carry case.
The Landove Prism Spotting Scope has a system of dynamic lens focusing which allows you to focus on the target with great clarity. The scope comes with fully-coated optics and an in-built quality prism that lets more light in and illuminates the lens for a brighter picture. The scope is also waterproof, weatherproof and fog proof, so you can use it in a variety of different circumstances.
- The scope comes with a digiscoping cell phone adapter, allowing you to capture what you see in photos and videos on your phone.
- You can also enjoy accessories like a tabletop tripod and handheld mount, a portable case, covers for the eyepiece and lens, among other things.
- It has a variable magnification of 20x to 60x and it comes with a fully multi-coated green film objective lens.
The Gosky Spotting Scope comes with a carrying bag that makes it a perfectly portable instrument. The variable magnification makes it easier for you to zoom into the target and shoot accurately. It also comes with a wide variety of accessories that make it a true delight to use.
- The scope comes with a variable magnification of 20x to 60x which makes it ideal for target shooting when paired with its dynamic lens focusing system.
- It has a durable weatherproof design, thanks to the nitrogen filling. You can use it in different types of weather, be it rain, storm or fog.
- There is an in-built eyepiece shield which can be extended in case of high glare. This shield is in place to protect the eyepiece at all times.
The Kalawen HD Spotting Scope has a durable and ergonomic design that ensures you get the optimum use out of it. It is ideal not only for target shooting but also for bird watching, archery, astronomy, etc. It also comes with a tripod and portable bag that makes the instrument extremely user friendly.
- The spotting scope comes with a big eyepiece that enables you to enjoy variable magnification from 20x to 60x.
- It comes with a BAK4 prism that allows just the right amount of light into the lens but prevents the image from becoming hazy from overexposure.
- It has a shock-absorbing rubber armor that protects the scope but still does not make it too heavy to carry around.
The SVBONY Spotting Scope is an instrument with an 80 mm objective lens. It has an FMC lens with a BAK4 prism that produces a clear, bright image even if there is low light. The instrument is also IPX7 waterproof and fog proof.
- The scope comes with a phone adapter which allows you to also record the image the scope produces to show everyone else.
- The IPX7 waterproof and fog proof feature also allows you to use the scope for birdwatching and extensive outdoor use of other kinds.
- It has an adjustable viewing angle so you can set the eyepiece at a comfortable height of your choosing.
Finding the Right Spotting Scope for Target Shooting
If you are looking for a spotting scope for target shooting, there are some specifications you may want to be on the lookout for. Target shooting requires a few special features which ensure that you get the right kind of success. The following are some of the specifications and other features you may want to consider.
The variable zoom of a spotting scope is the most important feature that one should look out for. In most of the scopes that have been reviewed favorably above, the variable zoom is from at least 20x to 60x. This allows you to zoom comfortably into the target and stabilize your hand. This is an important feature for target shooting as the more clearly you can see the target, the easier it is to take your shot. A spotting scope needs to have a powerful magnification.
The material of any spotting scope needs to be durable. Most of the scopes reviewed above have either a resilient rubber armor or are made of a material that can withstand tougher weather. The scope must be waterproof and fog proof so you can use it outdoors with ease. It also helps to have an in-built prism which lets in the right amount of light, especially if you are shooting in low-light conditions.The subject needs to be well illuminated during target shooting and a prism will help you do that.
The versatility of a spotting scope will dictate how useful it is for activities other than target shooting. It can be a very skilled scope for target shooting, but if you can manage archery, bird watching, hunting and several other activities with the scope, it makes it a very versatile spotting scope. While it is good for a scope to be specialized for target shooting, it would provide much greater value for money if you could use it for other things as well.
Weight and Portability
The weight and ease of carrying a spotting scope are also important factors. In target shooting, you need to be able to hold the scope for long without tiring your arms out. The activity requires a lot of patience and if the scope is too heavy, you will not be able to keep your arms steady. The lightness of the scope also makes it easily portable, which is also an important factor for a spotting scope.
- Best Spotting Scope for Birding
- Best Spotting Scope for Hunting
- Best Spotting Scopes
- Best Compact Spotting Scopes
- Best Spotting Scope for Digiscoping
- Best Budget Spotting Scopes
- Best Spotting Scope Phone Adapters
- Best Spotting Scope Tripods
- Best Spotting Scopes Under $100
- Best Spotting Scopes Under $200
- Best Spotting Scopes Under $500
- Best Spotting Scopes for 1,000 yards
- Best Compact Spotting Scope for Hunting
- Best Spotting Scope for 100 yards
- Best Spotting Scope for Astronomy
- Best Spotting Scope Window Mount