Table of Contents
A telescope is a truly remarkable device that can make one feel closer to the sky and celestial bodies. There are plenty of telescopes in the market for astronomy enthusiasts of all ages and while there are devices that have been designed specifically for a younger audience, the following sections will introduce you to some of the best telescopes for adults. The reviews are followed by a brief buying guide for finding the right telescope for adults.
Best Telescopes for Adults
Here are our adult telescope reviews.
The Celestron AstroMaster is a user-friendly and accessible telescope for adults. The telescope has a lightweight frame though it is durable and sturdy. It offers 70-mm high-quality optics and you will certainly be happy with what you see.
- The Celestron AstroMaster has two powerful eyepieces as well as a finder scope that makes finding and focusing on any object much easier.
- The telescope can be set up quite easily. It has a smooth panning handle that allows you to point accurately at the object you want to focus on.
- It comes with a variety of accessories, like two eyepieces (20mm and 10mm), a travel tripod, an image star diagonal, and more.
The Gskyer Telescope has an incredible 80mm aperture that lets in the right amount of light for you to get a bright and clear image. The telescope comes with three eyepieces (16x, 40x and 80x) that can be replaced at any time. It also comes with an adjustable tripod so you can try out various viewing positions before you find the one that works for you the best.
- The telescope has a focal length of 400 mm and the glass-coated optics protect your eyes while you are viewing through the scope.
- The device also comes with a 3X Barlow lens and a 6×30 finder scope which comes with its own mounting bracket.
- The telescope can be set up easily and you can start using it almost as soon as it is out of the box. This is a great telescope for adults but it can also be suitable for younger novices.
The TELMU telescope has a large aperture of 70mm that allows the telescope to give you a clear and bright image. The telescope also comes with two replaceable eyepieces (K6mm/16X and K25/67X) so you can work with different degrees of power. The telescope is also easy to operate and you can start using it right out of the box.
- The TELMU telescope has a focal length of 400mm and a large aperture of 70mm. The optics are glass-coated, so your eyes remain protected.
- The telescope comes with two replaceable eyepieces (K6mm/16X and K25/67X) and a 5×24 finder scope that allows you to point and focus on objects with greater ease.
- The telescopic device is adjustable from 17.7-inches to 35.4-inches, allowing you to set the telescope in a position that is comfortable for you.
The Orion 09007 SpaceProbe has a 5.1-inch aperture that allows the device to gather enough light for clear and bright views of star clusters, galaxies other than the milky way, and more. The telescope is extremely portable and its short length makes it conducive for carrying on travels. The telescope also weighs only 27 lbs, so it is a truly lightweight and portable device.
- The telescope comes with an EQ-2 equatorial mount as well as an adjustable tripod that allows you to perform slow-motion tracking manually.
- The telescope also comes with two Sirius Plossl eyepieces of 1.25-inches each, in addition to a finder scope and a pinion focuser.
- The telescope also offers a bonus Starry Night software that you can download for free. This is one of the top consumer-rated software for astronomy that offers an interactive simulation of the night sky.
The Orion 10015 StarBlast Astro Reflector Telescope is a compact and portable device that adults can enjoy. This is a telescope that has been designed for novices and medium-level enthusiasts of astronomy. The telescope comes pre-assembled so you can use it right out of the box.
- The telescope has a focal length of 450mm and a large aperture of 4.5-inches that offer you a clear and bright image.
- The telescope comes attached with a tabletop base so you can do manual tracking with ease, without any shakes and tremors.
- The telescope comes with two eyepieces of 17mm and 6mm each, along with an eyepiece rack, a collimation cap, and more. You can also download the Starry Night astronomy software for free.
Adult Telescope Buyer’s Guide
If you are on the lookout for a telescope for adults, there are several options available in the market. But not all telescopes are made equally and some may be better choices for adults than others. So what are the factors you should keep in mind while finding the right telescope for adults? The following are some of the factors you may want to keep in mind.
A tripod is one of the most essential equipment you should have along with a telescope. Not all telescopes come with a tripod, but it would be advisable for you to consider a telescope that also comes with an adjustable tripod. Astronomy is a field that requires patience and long hours of waiting. With an adjustable tripod, you do not need to tire your arms out or throw your back out. You can place the telescope in a convenient position and work from there. This is not a feature that is essential only for telescopes for adults but adults would certainly find it hugely beneficial.
There are a few accessories that any telescope should offer. Many of the telescopes that have been reviewed above offer the Starry Night astronomy software for free. You should also consider buying a telescope that has a finder scope and a pinion finder so you can point and focus on objects with greater ease. It would also be preferable if the optics are glass-coated so your eyes can be protected while looking through the lens. Telescopes are not always cheap so it would be preferred that you get a wholesome amount of accessories along with the device.
If you are an intermediate-level astronomy enthusiast or higher, you may want to explore more of the night sky with your telescope. One of the best ways to do that is by panning the telescope and discovering more celestial objects through the lens. A telescope that offers a steady and smooth manual tracking is an absolute must. If you cannot pan the telescope smoothly, it will not be able to hold focus and the shakes will affect the image. With a steady manual tracking and an adjustable tripod, you can discover several things about the night sky and make the most of your tripod.
Focal Length and Aperture
The aperture of a telescope will dictate how much light is allowed into the lens and how bright the image can be. A good telescope for adults should have a minimum aperture of 70 mm. The focal length of the telescope will also dictate how large the image is. The longer the focal length, the larger the object in focus will seem to the eye. Among the telescopes that have been reviewed above, there are a few different focal lengths in the fray. But a focal length of 400 mm is the minimum requirement for a good telescope for adults.
- Best Telescopes
- Best Telescopes Under $200
- Best Telescopes for Kids
- Best Reflector Telescopes
- Best Refractor Telescopes
- Best Beginner Telescopes
- Best Telescopes for Astrophotography
- Best Catadioptric Telescopes
- Best Dobsonian Telescope
- Best Cheap Telescope
- Best Telescope Eyepiece
- Best Amateur Telescope
- Best Telescope for Viewing Planets and Galaxies
- Best Telescope Under $300
- Best Telescope Under $100